Monday, November 21, 2011

My Ever-Evolving Opinion Of Tim Tebow

I've spent the past four days trying to come to a finite opinion on what I think of Denver Broncos quarterback, Tim  Tebow.

The only thing I know for sure is that I don't know anything for sure.

Here in Denver, the local fan base are, by a vast majority, converted over to the phenomenon that is Tebow.  I can't argue when the guy has gone 4-1 as a starting quarterback this year.  I love to watch Tebow play. His ups and downs, his successes and failures. Nothing is boring.


I still don't believe that he will be a long-term starting quarterback in the league.  To me, he missed his opportunity by not working 100% on his throwing during this past off-season.  Instead of finishing his book and doing a book tour, he should have been working constantly with a quarterback coach. Especially considering a lot of people in Denver (and apparently Tebow himself) thought he'd be the starter this year.

If you could bottle Tebow's confidence and insert it into Mark Sanchez, you'd have Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees.  If you could bottle Sanchez's throwing ability and put it into Tebow, you'd have the same.  If anything, that was the thing that struck me the most during that New York Jets-Denver Broncos game.  You had two quarterbacks not really trusted by their teams until there was no other choice.  Each quarterback had flaws where the other had strength.

If Tebow finishes the year strong, and the Bronocs win seven or eight games, then Tebow should be given every chance to start next year.   The offense, in the way it's molded now, is a run-heavy offense with timely quarterback passing options.  IF you decide that you're going to stick with this type of offense, you will need a quarterback who has similar (if not better) skills than Tebow who could potentially take over some day.

That quarterback is Robert Griffin III.  Very talented, athletic, but with a superior arm, he's led Baylor to winning games they otherwise would have lost.  Griffin won't be a high first round pick, either, which means you won't have to trade up to get him.

While they made draft his replacement, Tebow could definitely help his case by staying in Denver the entire off-season and working with the quarterbacks coach.  I do think that Tebow can do anything he sets his mind to. If he wants to be a great passer, then I believe he can do it.

I actually want him to do it.  We haven't had this much excitement in Denver in years when it comes to the Broncos.

No comments: