Sunday, September 11, 2011

It's Week One - Your Fantasy Football Team Is Not As Good, Or As Bad, As You Think It Is; Part 6 Of My Fantasy Football Primer

So it's Week One of your Fantasy Season and your feelings about your fantasy team are one of the following:

  • I have the best team ever!!! I'm going to dominate my league!
  • My team sucks. I might as well not even bother to play.
  • I have no idea what's going on.
Let me tell you first: there is no way to know how your team is going to do the entire season based on your current roster and their Week One performances.

I'm sure many who drafted Peyton Manning a month ago thought they were set at quarterback (Tip: Don't drop Peyton if you have him unless you absolutely need the roster spot; more on this later).
I'm sure many who drafted Adrian Foster first thought they were getting a 16-week running back fantasy monster (fyi, he's out Week One with a hamstring injury). He worries me for the rest of the season.

If you're like me, you don't like seeing all these top-notch guys getting huge contracts the week of their first game.  I feel that it has a relaxing effect on those players.  Whether that relaxing effect results in a great season or a sub-par one totally depends on the drive of that particular player.  It just worries me.

So let me say, if you lose your game today (even by 50 points), do not despair.  You will be at the top of your league's waiver wire this coming week.  

Waiver wire management can turn a bad team into a championship team in just a few weeks.  Ask my buddy, Eric, a few years ago when he was struggling mid-season with his team.  A few suggestions here and there on how he could improve his team, and the guy went on and won our league championship.

I started my Keeper league 1-4 last year, but finished 8-5 and made the playoffs.  

The bottom line is, enjoy today for what it is: the return of football.  After that, we will need to get to work to improve your team.  Check back here weekly on Tuesdays for my recommendations on who you might be able to pick up off the waiver wire.



No comments: