Monday, December 5, 2011

Women's Professional Soccer League In Danger Of Folding

I wrote an article and submitted it to Yahoo concerning women's professional soccer in America.  Despite the insane success of the women's national team at the World Cup this past summer, our domestic women's league is about to fold.  The dissolution of the sixth team in the league and the difficulty in finding sponsors for additional teams has made it likely that US Soccer will remove D1 status from the league.  As such, our national team players would most likely not be allowed to play it in anymore or risk losing the ability to compete internationally for the U.S.

I am admittedly a late-comer to women's soccer, but the more I watch the more I like it.  It's a cleaner, more beautiful game than most men's soccer games.  I wish that I lived in a city that had a WPS team, but the closest one is 1,500 miles away.

Ironically, that team (the Atlanta Beat) play their home games in the soccer stadium at Kennesaw State University.  I graduated from there in 1996.  If I was still living in Georgia, I'd no doubt go to the games.  At times, irony sure does suck.

I hope that the WPS can achieve a last-second victorious equivalent to the women's victory against Brazil in the World Cup.  It'd be a huge shame to see it go.

No comments: