Sunday, November 6, 2011

Is Anyone Else As Sick Of The Media's Treatment Of Tim Tebow As I Am?

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm lucky or unlucky.  I live in Denver where the biggest story of the 2011 NFL season has unfolded: Tim Tebow.  It's not for good reasons.  Nope, the media itself has made this story far, far bigger than it should be.

How is Tebow any different from other young, inexperienced quarterbacks who just didn't have what it took to succeed in the NFL? Plenty of other QBs have failed miserably without receiving the kind of seemingly gleeful wall-to-wall coverage of Tebow's failings this year.  Let's trot out a few: Drew Henson, Joey Harrington, Matt Leinart, Ryan Leaf, Brady Quinn, Alex Smith, Kyle Boller...

I could keep going.  All of these quarterbacks (with the exception of Hanson, who would have gone first round but took a MLB Yankees contract instead) were drafted in the first round.  All of these quarterbacks were declared failures fairly early into their careers.

2010 Broncos Training Camp With Tebow
Note the coach behind him studying his footwork
Does he have that kind of intense instruction anymore?


NONE of these quarterbacks received the kind of attention that Tebow currently is.  I maintain that it's not Tebow's fault that he engenders the kind of adoration and rage that NFL and college football fans direct towards him.  Tebow is who he is, and everyone who's met him will tell you he's a genuinely nice guy who tries really hard.

Is it Tebow's fault that his college coaches never tried to really turn him into a better quarterback? No, but it is his fault that he didn't take that on himself.  While he clearly worked on his mechanics in the run-up to the 2010 NFL draft, there's not much talk of him continuing to use a QB coach after that.  Certainly not in this past off-season when he was on his book tour.

Virtually every NFL analyst this season declared that Tebow would fail before he got into games.  Everyone knew it would happen, and yet, Tebow's struggles are a lead item for any NFL broadcast or website (I know I'm part of that as well).  Let's not forget that he's playing on a terrible team that is in the process of rebuilding in a city that has a very, very short amount of patience.

If Tebow can look at anything as a blessing, it's that he's getting a decent amount of time to show what he can and can't do relatively early in his career.  I don't think he's capable of being a starting QB in this league, and the earlier he realizes this the better.   I would much rather see him as a tight end/fullback and play a lot longer cause I do enjoy his passion for the game.

Until then, I will still root for him and Broncos to do well, even if I don't believe that they will.  I am not pushing for the guy to fail, but I do think that he will.  It will ultimately be a good thing for him.

No comments: