Saturday, June 18, 2011

Wrestling (not the fake kind) Growing In Popularity Once Again

About three years ago, I happened upon the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships while I was channel surfing one night.  It made such an impression that, when the Big Ten Network broadcast Dual Meets the following season, I started watching regularly (especially if Iowa was on the mat).  This year, to my immense happiness, ESPN broadcast not just the NCAA Finals, but the entire tournament on its various channels.  I was in wrestling heaven.

I hope that this increased exposure will cause a resurgence in wrestling popularity, especially as various forms of wrestling skills are used in MMA events, and the Olympics are just around the corner.

There's a great article from John Klein in the Tulsa World about this very topic.

No comments: